DD Incoming students only
Welcome to University of Pavia!
Application procedure for DD students takes place in four phases:
- Before departure, nominated student has to go to this website page, to fulfill Double Degree application procedure and to upload all the documents requested in received “Welcome incoming letter 20xx-20xx” (the application will be activated on June, 2019);
- After arriving in Pavia, has to go to “Agenzia delle entrate” to request the tax code:
- For the final step of enrolment procedure, the student has to send at firstname.lastname@example.org the documents below:
- copy of tax code (pdf)
The deadline for point 1 is 30th June 2019.
ORGANIZING YOUR STAY
Visiting students will have access to all the services offered by Department of Economics and Management and by University of Pavia, after their enrollment procedure, which will be finalized in not less than fifteen days after the arrival. In particular, library organises information days aimed to incoming students, to clarify the procedures of consultation, borrowing and researching information within University library system.
Students who have attended the first year in Pavia, in any case must fill in the 2nd year of study plan, before their departure at the end of first year.
DD Outgoing students only
enjoy your stay at one of our Partner Universities!
Here you can find some useful information.
PRIOR TO LEAVING
- decide your destination according to your study plan (Business or Economics);
- apply for the Notice (usually published in February/March). Please, be careful that there are two different application forms depending on your status. If you are Erasmus and Double Degree student you have to follow both the notices and, about Erasmus+, you have to follow the instructions published in the Erasmus website. If you are only a Double Degree student you have to follow exclusively the DD Notice;
- DD-Erasmus students should be in contact with the Student Mobility Office and the Department of Economics and Business Management, whereas DD students should only refer to the Double Degree Office;
- if you win the scholarship (only Erasmus+) do not forget to accept it (see the deadline!);
- fill in a learning agreement with the Double Degree academic coordinator (economics or business field of study); if you are Erasmus and DD-Erasmus you can donwload the form at this page link; If you are only DD student, you can donwload this specific form.
- when the host university sends you the email with info and link of the application, please follow the procedures requested, register yourself at the foreign university and send them the required documents (also here there are deadlines to respect!).
Do not forget that your academic career goes on also in Pavia: remember to pay your Home University fees and fill in your study plan according to the Italian deadline. It should be possible that in the foreign University you have to pay local taxes, insurance, etc. etc. These fees must be paid by the students.
DURING YOUR STAY
- fill in the Arrival certificate and send to DD Admin coordinator (only for DD student; for DD and Erasmus student, please use the Erasmus certificate on Univp-Erasmus web page);
- changes to the study plan have to be accepted by your Italian Coordinator, so please send her/him an email and wait for an answer;
- you can take Italian exams while you are abroad, except the courses which you have chosen in your Learning Agreement;
- if it is provided for the curricular internship for both study plans, Italian and foreign, you must follow both the procedure for activating the agreement in Pavia and the procedure for activating the agreement in an host university; you can find more detailed information in the MIBE website and in the COR website;
- you can change your italian study plan, when you come back in Italy, before starting your graduation procedure
BACK TO PAVIA
- fill in the attendance certificate and send to DD Admin coordinator (only for DD student; for DD and Erasmus student, please use the Erasmus certificate on Univp-Erasmus web page);
- you have to convert all the ECTS got abroad; please, fill in this form and send it to the DD Office of the Department with official final transcript of records (usually provided by the Host university); remember that if you are an Erasmus and DD student, you have to contact also Student Mobility Office to fulfil the necessary burocracy.
- Co-supervisor request and antiplagiarism that will be delivered on the same day, complete in all its parts, at the Double Degree office to Mr. Federico Franceschini (Monday to Friday from 9.30 to 12.00). Subsequently, will be notified to the student, exclusively via email, the name of the italian co-supervisor, with whom he will have to establish the appropriate contacts for the purpose of the final discussion. This name will also be communicated, always via e-mail, to the chosen italian supervisor.
The DD students must put, in the Co-supervisor form, the name and contacts of foreign supervisor. Double Degree office could get in touch with home university for a confirmation. Without this information the request will be rejected. These obligations are not expected for foreign students coming from partner Universities that do not provide for a double speaker.
All outgoing Double Degree students must undertake to deliver to the DD office, the thesis’ evaluation made abroad, at least 10 days before graduation session. Without the host university evaluation the student will not be admitted to the graduation session. This evaluation has to be sent at: email@example.com
MARKS CONVERSION SYSTEM
As regards the conversion of the marks, this is the formula that will be applied: the marks of the exams got abroad will be converted in according to the conversion tables of marks established between partners. It is possible that the resulting conversion grade corresponds to a value range of marks of italian marks, in this case will be choosen the minimun or maximun value taking into account the overall performance of abroad studies.
It’s easy that the number of credits of single foreign exams doesn’t correspond to italian number of credits, and it’s likely may encounter the following three cases:
- the number of credits of foreign exam is slightly lower than Italian exam to be converted, [e.g., 4,5 ECTS => 6 CFU]. It is possible to live this conversion credits ratio (if the total credit conversion is balanced [e.g. 35 ECTS => 35 CFU]) ;
- the number of credits of foreign exam is lower than Italian exam to be converted, [e.g., 3 / 6 ECTS => 9 CFU]. In this case, the student has to merge more foreign exams. It will be calculated the weighted average of marks obtained on the foreign exams considered and the result will be converted into the italian mark, in according to the conversion grade table established between partners;
- the number of credits of foreign exam is higher than Italian exam to be converted, [e.g., 9 ECTS => 6 CFU]. In this case, and if it will be necessary, will be used the remaining foreign credits to convert any residual italian exams. If there were any surplus credits, the mark may be increased by one point when it will converted into italian mark. The conversion will be calculated in according to the conversion grade table established between partners.
- The student needs to contact a supervisor and to agree upon the topic of the thesis in due time (at least six months before the planned date of graduation – “seduta di laurea” in Italian; see more details below, admission to the defense).
- It is recommended to write the thesis in the students’ host country and to contact early a second supervisor at home in order to make sure that requirements of both Universities involved are met.
- Host university will send to home university the final grade of evaluation thesis. This grade will be necessary to make the final grade of the thesis in the home university.
- Please make sure you adhere to locally defined timelines for the preparation of your thesis – these may differ across Double Degree universities and deviate from Pavia timing.
- The same applies for objectives for, contents and format of the thesis.
Here below follow some general indications on how to write a thesis, which meets Pavia’s standards.
- The thesis should present an original piece of theoretical and empirical work. The subject area is normally chosen by the student, discussed, and agreed upon with the supervisor (relatore) and must be coherent with the Master curriculum.
- It is written individually.
- The structure of the thesis is discussed with the supervisor; however, a general structure thesis begins with an index, followed by an introduction, a literature review, a methodology chapter, an empirical part (eg case study, survey and analysis of datasets) and a conclusion. The bibliography is complete and up-to-date.
- Average n. of pages: 100;
- Regarding MEFI theses based on developing economic/quantitative modelling, the n. of pages may deviate from average n. written above.
- The work is checked for plagarism.
In some of the partner Universities, as EM-Strasbourg Business School, the thesis takes the form of a case study (frequently based on internships) may be co-authored with colleagues and is less developed in theory terms. In these cases the thesis must be customized to Pavia standards, i.e. you will need to extend and deepen the work, and these adaptations must be agreed upon with your supervisor in Pavia (for more details please do not hesitate to contact prof. B. Hagen, prof C. Tarantola or the administrative responsible of Double Degree Programme F. Franceschini).
The grade is proposed by your first and second supervisor but is subject to a final decision by the defense committee at the end of the thesis discussion (seduta di laurea). The rules for the evaluation of the thesis are the following:
- 0 to 2 points – The student proposes a mere restatement of research on the subject. The thesis presents limitations in relation to the literature consulted, or the models or empirical findings
- 3 to 4 points – The student exhibits the specific issue based on limited knowledge of the existing research on the subject. Organizes material adequately, work takes a proper language.
- 5 points – The student offers a clear and orderly exposition of the subject of the thesis; demonstrates understanding of the literature; exhibits successfully models or empirical studies. is able to construct a coherent argument.
- 6 or 7 points – The student, in addition to having read and correctly exposed the contents of the bibliography, or having adequately presented models or empirical research, has explored topics related to the subject of the work; can show/discuss the validity of connections.
- more than 7 points, up to a maximum to be decided by the Department – The student demonstrates independent judgement, critical thinking skills and personal originality; develops in-depth aspects of the subject, discusses topics which need considerable effort in conceptual terms or in terms of the collection and processing of empirical material; knowledge of literature, modelling or empirical research on the subject is vast; in the discussion, is capable of showing interest and
In this case, the supervisor must notify the President of the committee at least 15 days prior to the graduation session, requesting a third supervisor and providing the commission with a detailed report in order to justify the evaluation.
The points obtained in the discussion are added to your average grade once re-scaled on a scale of 110. To clarify the process here is an example: if your average grade is 27 in all your exams on a scale of 30 the average grade before the discussion is 99 – 27 divided 30 and multiplied by 110 – (please consider that laude adds 0.30 points to your average grade). If, after the discussion, you get 6 points, your final grade will be 105 (99+ 6) over 110. In order to be graduated with honours (laude) you need to obtain 113 points.
For further information, please refer to the Department web site thesis guidelines pages: http://mibe.unipv.it/?pagina=p&id=52
To be admitted to the degree, you must have passed all the examinations provided for in the curriculum and the thesis must be finalized and evaluated. You need to provide your second supervisor with an evaluation of the first supervisor and please make sure that your transcripts are prepared in time.
Please check the timeline and requirements here: http://economia.unipv.it/sitonuovo/?pagina=p&titolo=Thesis_defence_application
You will also find a yearly planning and the forms, which have to be submitted.