Woodward, (Ernest) Llewellyn

Woodward (1890-1971, knighted 1952) was educated at Merchant Taylors' School, Corpus Christi College, Oxford, and studied in Paris on a scholarship from St. John's College (1913-14). After the war he was fellow at All Souls (1919-44), and lecturer in history at New College (1922-39). He was domestic bursar of All Souls from 1925 and university senior proctor in 1927-8. During the war he was at the Foreign Office, as he had been at the end of the European war. In 1944 he returned to Oxford as a fellow of Balliol College and professor of international relations, but switched in 1947 to the new chair of modern history, with the fellowship at Worcester College.

See list of letters .

Source: DNB .


Welcome page

top of page

Return to index of this section

Go to previous page

Go to next page