Educated at Inverness Academy, Collegiate School in Edinburgh, Edinburgh University and Balliol College, Oxford, J. A. Smith (1863-1939) was for some years an assistant to S. H. Butcher, professor of Greek in Edinburgh University, then was elected a fellow of Balliol (1891; honorary fellow, 1924) and appointed Jowett lecturer in philosophy at Oxford University in 1896. In 1910 he was elected Waynflete professor of moral and metaphysical philosophy at Oxford, to which a fellowship at Magdalen College was attached. He retired in 1936.
As an undergraduate, Harrod attended Smith's lectures on "Metaphysics" (Hilary and Trinity terms 1920) and on "The Conception of Value in Aesthetics and Logic" (Michaelmas 1920): his lecture notes are preserved in HP V-4 and V-10.
See list of letters .
Source: DNB .
top of page
Return to index of this section
Go to previous page
Go to next page