872R. Harrod to J. Mulgan, 21 November 1938 [a]
Follows on from 809 R, continues at 878 R. On The Trade Cycle, Harrod thinks that "There might be something to be said for re-writing a great part of it, but the time is not ripe for that."  He notes, in passing, that he has "just re-written half my old book on International Economics".  As to the projected new volume,  Harrod writes: "I want to write two or three new papers for it. I have just been asked for a contribution by the Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv.  I suppose it would do no harm if I gave them one of these papers, provided they promised early publication." 
2. Harrod, International Economics ( 1933:10 and 1939:3 ).
3. Refers to a proposed collection of essays to be titled Beyond the Traditional Economics. The proposal was discussed with Sisam of the University Press (letters 807 , 841 R and 843 ).
4. No evidence survives with regard to the Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv's invitation to contribute.
5. Mulgan replied that the Delegates of the Oxford University Press insisted that the new book had to contain some new material (25 November 1938, in HP IV/B/A-4; Cc in OUP, part in CPED 001173, remainder in LB 7555): see also 878 R
- a. From Christ Church # , two pages ALS, in OUP, CPED 001173.
top of page
Return to index of this section
Go to previous page
Go to next page