688. O. Morgenstern to Harrod , 23 July 1937 [a]
[Replies to a letter not found]
Zeitschrift für Nationalökonomie, Wien #
23 July 1937
Thank you for your letter of July 7 th and your interesting review of Lundberg.  You will receive the proofs (in English) in a short time. As regards Neisser I quite understand your difficulties.  I have formed the same opinion about this book. I am personally [b] particularly interested in [c] the international aspects of business cycles, as, a matter of fact, my first publication was on this subject.  I leave it entirely to your discretion. Whether you write a short "non-committing-review" [d] or whether you return the book to me, I would in any case secure another reviewer. 
I take the opportunity to extend to you again the invitation to send me a larger contribution for the Zeitschrift.  You may have been aware that in number 2 of the current volume an article about your "Trade-cycle" has been published.  The reviewer is on the staff of my institute.
Did you see my Articles on Exchange Control in the Times of July 20, & 21? 
Herrn, Dr. R.F. Harrod, Christ Church, Oxford, England
2. H. Neisser, Some International Aspects of the Business Cycle, Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1936.
3. O. Morgenstern, "Internationale vergleichende Konjunkturforschung", Zeitschrift für die gesamte Staatswissenschaft 83:2, June 1927, pp. 261-90.
4. The book was eventually reviewed by E. Kuffler (Zeitschrift für Nationalökonomie VIII:5, 1937, pp. 677-80).
5. Harrod does not seem to have submitted any articles before the war.
6. J. Steindl, "Der Konjunkturzyklus", review of Harrod's Trade Cycle ( 1936:8 ), Zeitschrift für Nationalökonomie VIII:2, 1937, pp. 229-37.
7. Morgenstern, "Free Exchange. The Experience of Austria. I. A Policy with Good Results; II. Further Steps to Decontrol", The Times, 20 July 1937, p. 17, and 21 July 1937, p. 15.
- a. TLS with autograph addition, one page, in HP IV-1238-1254/18. Envelope addressed to Christ Church.
b. Ts: «personal».
c. Ts: «on».
d. Ts: «"non-committing"-review"».
top of page
Return to index of this section
Go to previous page
Go to next page