311. Harrod to Joan Robinson , 1 July 1933 [a]
[Answered by 312 ]
51 Campden Hill Square, W.8. #
1 July 1933
I havent yet read the great work. In fact I am just about setting out to do so. But first I should like to thank you for your very generous references to me in the preface. 
As a matter of history it might interest you to know that I devised and wrote an article about the M[arginal]. R[evenue]. curve which I sent in to the Journal in the summer of 1928.  Unfortunately the article contained some other matter  with which Maynard didnt agree and he handed it over to Ramsey to refute. I became ill about that time and didnt bother about it for a year or so. When I looked it up again, I wrote to Ramsey replying to his refutation, and he replied in a letter, which I have got, entirely surrendering and indeed providing a rather elaborate mathematical demonstration of my points--these were points other than those connected with the M R curve. Meanwhile I became dissatisfied with the article on other grounds and did not press for its publication. I scrapped it; and in 1930 wrote quite a different article but embodied in it my original construction of the M.R. curve. 
2. Harrod, "Notes on Monopoly and Quasi-Competition", here reproduced as essay 6 . This was submitted to the Economic Journal in July 1928 (see letters 149 and 150 ). Keynes's comments and Harrod's defence are reproduced here as letters 151 , 153 , 154 , 155 , 156 . Ramsey's note is reproduced as attachment to letter 154 . Harrod suffered of a nervous breakdown, which disabled him from effective work for several months. His letter in reply to Ramsey's note does not survive; Ramsey's admission of misunderstanding is reproduced as letter 168 . For further details see note 1 to essay 6 .
3. Harrod thought that the original point of his article was the argument in favour of cartels in conditions of imperfect competition (see letters 149 and 150 ); Keynes and Ramsey, however, immediately appreciated the importance of the marginal revenue curve (see letters 151 and 154 ).
4. Harrod, "Notes on Supply" ( 1930:3 ); part I of "Notes on Monopoly and Quasi-Competition" was incorporated as part II of the 1930 article, on pp. 238-39.
- a. ALS, two pages on one leaf, in JVR vii/191/9-10.
top of page
Return to index of this section
Go to previous page
Go to next page